[libvirt-users] VM Performance using KVM Vs. VMware ESXi

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Apr 14 13:02:41 UTC 2015

On 14/04/15 13:33, Jatin Davey wrote:

> Thanks Dominique & Daniel.
>
> Looks like i need to upgrade my VMs kernel to make it aware of virtio.
>
> Found this information from this link:
>
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Virtio#Disk_.28block.29_device_driver
>
> I tried without upgrading the Kernel and as soon as i start my VM it got
> into Kernel Panic. I will try using virtio after upgrading my VMs kernel.

As somebody has already said it would have to be a really old kernel to
not handle virtio-block, and it's more likely that your bootloader
and/or initrd are confused by sda becoming vda.

However if your kernel supports it then virtio-scsi should be even
better than virtio-block and shouldn't cause the device name to change.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/