[libvirt-users] Update on-disk XML after virsh snapshot-create-as

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Tue Apr 14 15:51:38 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

I am unaware of a 3rd-party vendor that backports newer releases of libvirt
for Ubuntu - is there one you would recommend? Currently, for 14.04 I am using
the packages from the Ubuntu repository, and for 12.04 I built newer versions
of libvirt myself in this PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~xespackages/+archive/ubuntu/virtualization

Is there a better way to keep up-to-date with libvirt releases on Ubuntu LTS?

> > This presents a problem if the virtual machine host is suddenly powered off
> > since a subsequent boot will find the VM using an older image file to boot
> > rather than the most recent snapshot. Is it safe for me to use an external
> > wrapper script that does the following to ensure the on-disk XML is
> > up-to-date:
> > virsh snapshot-create-as ....
> > virsh dumpxml > /etc/libvirt/qemu/<domain>.xml
>
> No.  That is not safe.
>

> > Is it safe for me to overwrite the contents of
> > /etc/libvirt/qemu/<domain>.xml
> > manually while the VM is running?
>
> Not at all.
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/FAQ#Where_are_VM_config_files_stored.3F_How_do_I_edit_a_VM.27s_XML_config.3F
>
> Instead, if you are still suffering from a build of libvirt that fails
> to update the files in /etc when taking a snapshot, do some other action
> that DOES update /etc (such as changing the domain description), or at a
> bare minimum use 'virsh define' instead of manually writing into /etc
> yourself.

Thanks for this clarification. It looks like the following would update both
the running and on-disk configs?
virsh desc <domain> --config --live --new-desc "<new description here>"

Thanks,

Andrew