[libvirt-users] VM Performance using KVM Vs. VMware ESXi

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Wed Apr 15 12:07:37 UTC 2015

On 15.04.2015 05:55, Jatin Davey wrote:
>> Is there any particular reason why you are using RHEL 5? The current
>> version is RHEL 7 which contains much more up-to-date versions of
>> kernel, qemu and other virtualization tools.
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Dennis

> I am looking at upgrading to RHEL 7 or 6.6 but before getting there i
> want to see if the existing version works fine. If it works then i am
> good but if it does not then i will have to upgrade to newer versions.

You have to test on the system you intend to run in production later or
your results are useless. Simply upgrading to 7 might already give you a
big boost in performance simply because the virtualization components
are *much* more up-to-date.

The qemu/kvm components - the heart of the virtualization - on RHEL 5
are positively ancient so I would not expect to get any decent numbers
compared to todays standards.

Regards,
  Dennis