[libvirt-users] unknown driver format value 'qcow3'

Jatin Davey jashokda at cisco.com
Wed Apr 15 14:13:33 UTC 2015

Hi All

I am trying to deploy VMs using libvirt and a domainXML file where i
mention the parameters for the VM to be deployed.

I am using libvirt version: libvirt 0.10.2

**********
virsh # version
Compiled against library: libvirt 0.10.2
Using library: libvirt 0.10.2
Using API: QEMU 0.10.2
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.12.1
***********

I get this libvirt exception while deploying a VM.

Exception trace **************
2015-04-14 18:06:28,240 [pool-1-thread-45] ERROR
defineDomain(SimpleAppliance.java:581) - Failed to define domain/VM from XML
org.libvirt.LibvirtException: unsupported configuration: unknown driver
format value 'qcow3'
         at org.libvirt.ErrorHandler.processError(Unknown Source)
         at org.libvirt.Connect.processError(Unknown Source)
         at org.libvirt.Connect.processError(Unknown Source)
         at org.libvirt.Connect.domainDefineXML(Unknown Source)

Do i need to upgrade to any specific version of libvirt ? or change any
file to make this work ?

Thanks
Jatin