[libvirt-users] libvirt and guest processes

dt sweval dtsweval at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 04:00:27 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 8:04 PM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/20/2015 07:32 PM, hanyandong wrote:
>
> [please don't top-post on technical lists]
>
> > As I know, you can use Libvmi  API  to access the memory of VM and then
> walk through the double-linked list of process to reconstruct the process
> list. it is easy, and libvmi has provide the example
>
> Maybe so, but that requires very intimate knowledge of the exact kernel
> running in the guest, and could be rather fragile; especially if you are
> not freezing the guest while snooping memory.  Adding a guest-agent
> command would probably be more portable across a wider range of guests.

I agree with that, even though this might work, but might require very
kernel specific code. Probably not the road that I would
want to go down. Nevertheless,  Yandong, appreciate the suggestion.

> >> No, I don't think there's a way. Problem is, libvirt views guest
> >> internals private to the guest. Having said that, I don't think there
> >> ever will be an API for that. Nor qemu-ga has an API for executing an
> >> arbitrary shell commands.
>
> There have been proposals on the qemu list for adding such a qemu-ga
> command, although it hasn't been reviewed for inclusion yet.

Thanks Eric for the pointer, do you know if it is on the roadmap or some
kind of plan though ?

Michal, thanks for your response too.

Regards
dtsweval