[libvirt-users] Libvirt disk API

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 13:20:20 UTC 2015

On 21.04.2015 08:47, fu lirong wrote:
> Hi all:
>     I am studying  Libvirt API , I am wondering  the API   about the disk
> manage is TBD(to be difine).  The edition is
> libvirt 0.7.5  ,but the edition is too old ,The website is
> http://libvirt.org/guide/html/Application_Development_Guide-Introduction.html

That guide is outdated; no one has touched it for a long time.

>     So, if I want to manage the VM disk , for example  read the disk, what
> should I do ?

This is mostly out of libvirt scope, unless you really want to read raw
data stored on the disk. Libvirt is unaware of any filesystem on the
disk, or any data or data structure on the disk. If you're interested in
working with guest disk images I'd strongly recommend libguestfs:

  http://libguestfs.org/

It's libvirt based project, and to demonstrate its capabilities, here's
how to change a Windows guest wallpaper:

https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/tip-change-the-background-image-in-a-windows-vm/

If you are, however, really interested in peeking a disk image, you
should look at virStorageVolDownload().

Michal