[libvirt-users] Limitations of macvtap devices?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 14:26:25 UTC 2015

I am running OpenStack inside a libvirt guest that is connected to the
local network via a macvtap interface.  My experience so far suggests
that a macvtap interface will not pass traffic with a source MAC
address other than the MAC address of the interface itself...for
example, if inside the guest eth0 is attached to a bridge.

Is that correct, or is there some setting that will make that work?

Outbound traffic doesn't seem to be a problem (I can see, for example,
dhcp requests on the local network), but replies get dropped before
they reach the guest.

Thanks,

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}