[libvirt-users] UDP unicast network backend (QEMU)

Stanley Karunditu stanleyk at cumulusnetworks.com
Tue Aug 4 04:48:44 UTC 2015

In 2012 QEMU added UDP unicast network backend support

https://github.com/qemu/qemu/commit/0e0e7facc775e9bb020314f48751b3d09f316c8b#diff-a0a1810b6e249e68f1a290e37399becb

Checked latest libvirt on the git repo,  and didn't see this as an option.

So tried to use the mcast tunnel mode. I keep getting duplicate packets
with BPDUs and LLDP packets going between the Point to point connection
between the VMs.  VMs have bridges on them. When I used the TCP tunnel
interface, if the client came up before the server end, the connection
failed to establish. So both methods not super reliable.

If I manually change the netdev settings to use unicast udp tunneling the
connection is way more stable just like the GNS3 connections.

Has anyone written support for UDP unicast network backend for QEMU and the
patch is awaiting review?

Searched mailing list and couldn't find a bug covering this.

Just want to be sure no one has worked on this before creating a patch to
add this support.