[libvirt-users] machine='pc-q35-2.1' and sata controller

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Mon Aug 10 05:05:54 UTC 2015

On 08/10/2015 12:41 AM, Michael Darling wrote:
> What's the status of the SATA controller migration bug?  Are the patches for it expected to be in 2.4?
> Looks like they didn't make it into 2.3.

That's a question better suited for the qemu developers than us. I'm
Cc'ing John Snow, who authored the qemu patches. John?

> Since you last wrote, if the SATA controller patches aren't in yet, is there any new way
>  to avoid the SATA controller device, if you have no SATA devices?

No, it is impossible for libvirt to remove the SATA controller - as I
explained in the email you replied to, if you start up a q35-based qemu
virtual machine, it will have a SATA controller at 00:1f.2 and there is
no way provided by qemu to prevent this, so we just have to live with it
until it's fixed in qemu.