[libvirt-users] libvirt-lxc

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 06:31:02 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 09:50:04PM +0100, Mark Clarkson wrote:
>Hi,
>I noticed that libvirt-lxc will be deprecated for RedHat:
>
>"Future development on the Linux containers framework is now based on
>the docker command-line interface. libvirt-lxc tooling may be removed
>in a future release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (including Red Hat
>Enterprise Linux 7) and should not be relied upon for developing
>custom container management applications." -
>https://access.redhat.com/articles/1365153
>
>And CentOS:
>
>"further deprecated packages: libvirt-daemon-driver-lxc,
>libvirt-daemon-lxc and libvirt-login-shell " -
>http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7
>
>And LXC support from linuxcontainers.org is poor for RedHat/CentOS:
>
>"... Also Cgmanager which is currently not available on CentOS 7. So
>cannot support unprivileged containers and thus LXD. Systemd based
>containers need at least LXC 1.1, lxcfs and related dependencies that
>are not available on CentOS. ... For a stable, seamless and smooth
>experience we suggest either Debian Wheezy with Flockport packages or
>Ubuntu Trusty. ..." -
>https://www.flockport.com/lxc-and-lxd-support-across-distributions/
>
>It seems that the only way for me to use LXC containers on
>CentOS/RedHat is to use Docker, which I am not particularly happy
>about since, as I understand it, Docker and
>libvirt-lxc/linuxcontainers.org-lxc are for different use cases, with
>their own pros and cons, for example:
>"Why use LXD? ... Full operating system functionality within
>containers, not just single processes ..." -
>http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/tools/lxd
>
>There are many uses for full containers within build, server
>management, testing, etc. where quickly creating containers that look,
>'feel' and act just like real servers is beneficial, and far cheaper
>(in many ways) and more versatile than fully virtualised machines or
>docker containers.
>
>I have just discovered libvirt-lxc and found that it works well on
>both Ubuntu and RedHat, and is designed to be integrated into tooling,
>which is exactly what I need.
>
>I considered Runc before libvirt, but libvirt is so versatile,
>allowing me to use other technologies such as qemu/kvm, and with its
>rich API, that I would prefer to use libvirt - it would allow me the
>most options for change in the future and seemed like a 'no-brainer'
>until I saw the deprecation announcement.
>
>Will libvirt-lxc be dropped from libvirt?

The fact that it's deprecated in some distributions doesn't mean we're
dropping it.  LXC driver is still being developed upstream, and to be
honest, I don't know what _exactly_ deprecated means on CentOS.  Maybe
they won't let you create BZs for LXC driver issues.  But if you want
to use it, nobody is telling you you cannot.  And if you don't need
super-stable downstream release, you can always grab the latest rpm
from ftp://libvirt.org ;-)