[libvirt-users] creating a network on existing bridge

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Wed Aug 12 22:18:52 UTC 2015

On 08/12/2015 05:49 PM, Fırat KÜÇÜK wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Simply I want to create a network on an existing bridge.
> My XML:
>
> <network>
>   <name>nn1</name>
>   <bridge name="br-nn1" />
> </network>

I think what you want is this:

<network>
  <name>nn1</name>
  <forward mode='bridge'/>
  <bridge name='br-nn1'/>
</network>

https://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#examplesBridge

(Originally a network with no <forward> element was considered to be a
virtual network with bridge created by libvirt but no physical device
attached. When support for networks that used an existing bridge was
added, we had to maintain backward compatibility, so we decided that the
new type of network would be identified by setting <forward
mode='bridge'/> on a network that has a bridge name defined.)

> when i want to start network I got "File exist" error.
>
> error: Failed to start network nn1
> error: Unable to create bridge br-nn1: File exist
>
> I could define on older releases but now I can't.
> Ubuntu 15.04 / libvirt version: 1.2.12

No, that wouldn't have worked in any older release of libvirt. Perhaps
you've forgotten that you previously had <forward mode='bridge'/> in
your definition?