[libvirt-users] KVM Storage Pools on LVM

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 02:32:20 UTC 2015

I have been running some virtual machines on CentOS7 KVM with the VMs
living in a folder under a /home directory. Everything I've read says to
create LVM volume groups and base storage pools on that. So i followed the
instructions at
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Virtualization_Deployment_and_Administration_Guide/sect-LVM_based_storage_pools.html
and now have 2 LVM-based storage pools called guest_images_lvm and
guest_isos_lvm which are both showing as Active in virt-manager.

I now want to move my VMs from /home to the new guest_images_lvm storage
pool - but what directory do I copy them to? There doesn't appear to be any
directories called guest_images_lvm. I'm not very familiar with LVM -
perhaps there is no directory structure? In which case how do I actually
move the VMs to the new storage pools? I thought there would be directories
under /dev but they're not there.

I may have stuffed up the creation of the storage pools as I filled in the
Target Path field in virt-manager but left Source Path blank. I found the
documentation confusing on this. It creates LVM partitions on /dev/sdb and
then says to enter /dev/sdc as the Source Path. is that a mistake? I don't
have a /dev/sdc so I ended up leaving this and Build Pool blank. The
storage pools got created anyway, but I wonder if this is the source of my
problem?