[libvirt-users] Isolated networks && test lab

Spanky Horawitz shorawitz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 00:17:56 UTC 2015

I'm trying to migrate my VirtualBox test lab to KVM.  In my VB
configuration, I have several VM routers with 4 interfaces each.  Each
router has a bridged interface which connects them all together and to
the outside world.  I have servers/clients dispersed on each of the
other private (Isolated) segments that use the routers as default
gateways.

In trying to make this work, I used Virtual Machine Manager to define 3x
Virtual Networks (Isolated networks) and created a VM router which has 3
interfaces (192.168.x.1) on each Isolated network and a 4th interface
using the br0 interface to get to the outside world.  The router is able
to connect to the outside world.

Using Virtual Machine Manager, I also created "client" VM and connected
it's single interface to one of the Isolated networks.  While testing
connectivity of the "client" VM to the router, it seems to go straight
to the Host (tested using 'ssh 192.168.x.1'.)  I'm trying to isolate the
networks from the Host and have the router receive packets for the
192.168.x.1 address on the individual Isolated network segments.

Host:
br0 (em1): 192.168.1.16
vibr0 (default): 192.168.122.1
virbr1: 192.168.2.1
virbr2: 192.168.3.1
virbr3: 192.168.4.1

VM router:
eth0: 192.168.1.10
eth1: 192.168.2.1
eth2: 192.168.3.1
eth3: 192.168.4.1

VM client:
eth0: 192.168.3.101

Is there some trick to isolate the Host from the VM's?  Is there a
comprehensive guide that explains how the networks should be setup
(with/without Virtual Machine Manager)?  I'm not afraid to get my hands
dirty on the console if needed, but GUI's are easier to navigate when
you're learning a new technology.  I switched to using RemoteBox for
managing my VB vm's as it made things a lot easier to deal with than
VBoxManage.

Thanks for your help!