[libvirt-users] Error message doesn't make sense

Tashi Lu dotslash.lu at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 02:42:30 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I incidentally configured two IDE controller for my machine-1.2 VM(it
might be virsh attach-disk to blame), and I got the error message
"Only a single IDE controller is unsupported...". I can't understand
this error message, I think it means I HAVE to configure two or more
IDE controllers until I looked it up in the source.

At libvirt-1.2.22/src/qemu/qemu_command.c:

 4916     case VIR_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_TYPE_IDE:
 4917         /* Since we currently only support the integrated IDE controller
 4918          * on 440fx, if we ever get to here, it's because some other
 4919          * machinetype had an IDE controller specified, or a 440fx had
 4920          * multiple ide controllers.
 4921          */
 4922         if (qemuDomainMachineIsI440FX(domainDef))
 4923             virReportError(VIR_ERR_CONFIG_UNSUPPORTED, "%s",
 4924                            _("Only a single IDE controller is
unsupported "
 4925                              "for this machine type"));

I didn't dig VIR_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_TYPE_IDE up, but reasoning from the
comment, I think this error message should be something like "More
than one IDE controllers is not supported for this machine type"