[libvirt-users] QEMU 2.2.0 managedsave: Unknown savevm section type 5

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 22:54:46 UTC 2015

On 02/05/2015 05:02 AM, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 05.02.2015 01:54, Paul Apostolescu wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running into issues restoring VMs during reboot for some of my XP
>> VMs - the environment is QEMU 2.2.0, libvirt 1.2.12 on CentOS 6.5 with
>> KVM and libvirt-guests is set to suspend at shutdown. The weird part is
>> Windows 7 is restored properly from the managedsave however XP does not,
>> doing a start from virsh shows this:
>>
>> virsh # start xp-check
>> error: Failed to start domain xp-check
>> error: internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem:
>> Unknown savevm section type 5
>> 2015-02-04T23:55:37.117515Z qemu-kvm: load of migration failed: Invalid
>> argument
>>
>> (qemu-kvm is a link to qemu-system-x86_64).
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this ?
>
> Smells like qemu bug to me.

Agreed.  Usually a sign of you upgrading to a newer qemu version than
the one that created the managedsave image.  Beyond reporting it to the
qemu folks, my other suggestion is to downgrade qemu, see if you can
restore the file, then cleanly shut down the guest.  Then upgrade qemu,
and boot from scratch instead of trying to load the save image.  That
way, you avoid the cross-qemu migration bug.  Another option is to nuke
the managedsave image and force a fresh boot, but that's a bit more
drastic as it loses any unsaved data that was in memory but not flushed
to disk, and most likely require an fsck (that is, nuking the
managedsave image is equivalent to pulling the power cord on a running
bare-metal machine, then recovering when restoring power for the next
boot) [virsh managedsave-remove]