[libvirt-users] Possible to change 'machine type' attribute while vm is running?

Andre Goree andre at drenet.net
Mon Feb 9 20:24:36 UTC 2015

Hello.  I'd like to determine if it's possible to change the 'machine
type' attribute while a vm is running.

For example, I have:

   <os>
     <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-trusty'>hvm</type>
     <boot dev='hd'/>
   </os>

I'd like to change that to "machine='pc-i440fx-1.7'" due to an error[1]
I'm seeing while migrated similar images to another host.

The only way I've been able to change the machine is by first shutting
down the vm, making the change, then starting the vm back up.  I'd like
to avoid that if at all possible.

I did find the tool "libvirt-migrate-qemu-machinetype", but it doesn't
seem to do what I think it's intended to do -- i.e., it does NOT change
the machine type, even after reboot.  Perhaps I'm just using it wrong?
I performed the following:

root:~# libvirt-migrate-qemu-machinetype -t pc-i440fx-1.7 <domain>
Waiting up to 10 seconds for libvirtd to start...
Waiting up to 30 seconds for libvirtd to respond to requests...
Checking domains defined in /etc/libvirt/qemu...
Migration complete

But the machine type remains the same after the above command has been
run.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

[1] - error: internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor:
Supported machines are:

--
Andre Goree
Email     - andre at drenet.net