[libvirt-users] libvirt/virsh change boot order

Robb Walker rwalker at DRWHoldings.com
Wed Feb 11 20:34:10 UTC 2015

Hello, hope all are well.

Am I missing something?

If I add a cdrom and change boot order in a running vm with virsh edit, I have to shutdown the vm and restart to see the change in boot order. I can not just restart the vm via reboot inside the vm or virsh reboot vm. I don't see anything under /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/saved where I might expect conflict if I was battling against a saved configuration. If obvious, DUH, apologies and virtually bonk me on the head.

Note: This is actually okay. Just don't want to miss on something that would allow me to just cycle the vm after make changes.

on ubu -- 14.04

ii  libvirt-bin                                           1.2.2-0ubuntu13.1.9                                 amd64        programs for the libvirt library
ii  libvirt-dev                                           1.2.2-0ubuntu13.1.9                                 amd64        development files for the libvirt library
ii  libvirt-doc                                           1.2.2-0ubuntu13.1.9                                 all          documentation for the libvirt library
ii  libvirt0                                              1.2.2-0ubuntu13.1.9                                 amd64        library for interfacing with different virtualization systems

<os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-trusty'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='cdrom'/>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>

<disk type='file' device='cdrom'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
      <source file='/home/foo/Downloads/archlinux-2015.02.01-dual.iso'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='ide'/>
      <readonly/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='1' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </disk>

Thanks and Kind Regards all

This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential and proprietary and otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, do not read, duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please immediately delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unintended recipients are prohibited from taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail or any attachments. The DRW Companies make no representations that this e-mail or any attachments are free of computer viruses or other defects.