[libvirt-users] libvirt/virsh change boot order

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 20:49:47 UTC 2015

On 02/11/2015 01:34 PM, Robb Walker wrote:
> Hello, hope all are well.
>

> Am I missing something?
>
> If I add a cdrom and change boot order in a running vm with virsh edit, I have to shutdown the vm and restart to see the change in boot order. I can not just restart the vm via reboot inside the vm or virsh reboot vm. I don't see anything under /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/saved where I might expect conflict if I was battling against a saved configuration. If obvious, DUH, apologies and virtually bonk me on the head.

That's all the more existing qemu support.  qemu 2.3 is working on
adding a feature of allowing hot-reordering of boot order so that a mere
soft reset will pick up on things without resorting to a full power
cycle, and if that works, libvirt should be taught to do likewise by
adding commands for hot-editing the boot order in XML.  But we're not
there yet, so you are correct that for now a shutdown is the only way to
pick up on boot order changes.

> This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is confidential and proprietary

This mailing list is publicly archived, rendering your disclaimer
unenforceable.  It's often considered poor netiquette to send mail to
public lists from accounts that spam legalese garbage on the end.