[libvirt-users] Adding timestamps for all emulator output

Andrey Korolyov andrey at xdel.ru
Thu Feb 26 14:29:49 UTC 2015

Hello,

I think it would be useful if libvirt will be able to prefix all
messages from emulator pipes with the date stamping, for example I am
trying to catch very rare and non-fatal race with

virtio-serial-bus: Guest failure in adding device virtio-serial0.0

which is specific to the Windows guests on qemu-kvm. I have supporting
infrastructure which can tell me exact times for every action upon
this VM, but as bug is not frequent, the continuous monitoring looks
like an overkill for a desired goal - find a correlation between
emulator event and message from stderr. Patching emulator itself is
barely an option, as it is ugly, requires refresh of the running code
via loopback migration and completely non-universal, as every
hypervisor should be modified seperately.

I`d highly appreciate positive consideration for such functionality
addition or can write a patch shortly, if needed. Thanks!