[libvirt-users] Console access for a user.

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Fri Jan 2 15:18:28 UTC 2015

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 04:05:30PM +0100, Le Bris Gilles wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I would like to allow a user (non-root) to access the console of his VM
>(he's got root access on it).
>Using sudo doesn't seem to work:
> /bin/virsh console vm
> error: failed to get domain 'vm'
> error: Domain not found: no domain with matching name 'vm'
>If I assign suid to virsh, I get: 'error: Failed to initialize libvirt'

When you are running virsh as a non-root, you are connecting to the
session interface by default.  Use 'virsh uri' to see where you are
connecting.  You need to use 'virsh -c qemu:///system' to connect to
the system daemon (the default can be set in
~/.config/libvirt/libvirt.conf).

To configure which user has access to the system daemon, see the
configuration options in /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf (there are various
authentication and permission options).  For fine grained ACLs you can
use e.g. polkit, see http://libvirt.org/aclpolkit.html

Martin