[libvirt-users] live migration taking forever

Xu (Simon) Chen xchenum at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 18:11:51 UTC 2015

Hey folks,

I am running libvirt 1.2.4 and qemu 2.1 on a 3.14.27 kernel. I've found
that live migrating a relatively large VM (16 cores and 64G ram) is taking
forever - close to 15 hours now, and still not done...

With "lsof -i", I can see a connection is established from my source
hypervisor to a target hypervisor, likely for the purpose of copying data.
nettop shows that this connection is constantly sending 50-60MBps traffic.
The VM being migrated has a disk on ceph by using librbd.

I wonder if anyone has seen similar issues, and how I could troubleshoot
further. (I tried but failed to get qemu monitor to work on the VM...)

Thanks.
-Simon