[libvirt-users] redistribute virtual machines from vps hosting to end users

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 11:09:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 01:57:28PM +0400, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> > I don't have immediate steps with `virt-manager` as I don't use it much
> > in my workflow. But if you have users who're comfortable with CLI, you
> > can import disk images into libvirt (and which will also be accessible
> > via `virt-manager`) tribvially:
> >
> >   $ virt-install --name f21vm --ram 2048 \
> >       --diskpath=/export/f21vm.qcow2,format=qcow2,cache=writeback \
> >       --nographics --os-variant fedora21 --import
> >
> > (The above has the option '--nographics' because, it's just a small,
> > server image, but still - when the image is imported into libvirt, it
> > should be accessible via virt-manager, albiet a headless server.)
>

> I can provide single line command for end users...
> In case of virt-install can i provide xml for domain while import ?

I don't think `virt-install` itself can import an XML (although, it can
print a XML via the '--print-xml' option, look up the man page for
this). If the users have the disk images in the right place, you can
provide the guest XML, and the users can define it using:

    $ sudo virsh define uservm.xml

--
/kashyap