[libvirt-users] ubuntu virsh snapshot-create-as gives Error -22 while writing VM

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Jan 6 21:27:55 UTC 2015

On 01/06/2015 02:03 PM, Jon Schipp wrote:
> Hello all, I'm trying to create an online internal snapshot to work with
> Cuckoo Sandbox.
> I keep receiving this -22 error below on my Ubuntu system and I'm out of
> ideas, been at it for a while so any help is appreciated.
>
> root at cuckoo-sec:~# virsh snapshot-create-as cuckoo cuckoo-snap1 "Cuckoo
> Snapshot"
> error: operation failed: Error -22 while writing VM

That message comes from qemu (file a bug report with them for
poor-quality error message; looks like someone forgot to convert a
negative value back into a positive EINVAL errno value).

As for why qemu is seeing an EINVAL, I have to wonder if it is a case of
AppArmor blocking access to a file.  But that's weird, as internal
snapshots don't normally need to open any additional files.  At any
rate, it's more likely to be a qemu bug than a libvirt one.