[libvirt-users] Using virsh blockcopy -- what's it supposed to accomplish?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jan 8 20:48:42 UTC 2015

On 12/23/2014 05:24 PM, Gary R Hook wrote:
> I read that article.
>
> Now shut down the domain (post-pivot) which is using the new disk file,
> and start it up, without using a block device. This is the part that no
> one seems to write about, nor do I see that in your example. But thank
> you very much for your help and your articles; very much appreciated.

What do you mean by "without using a block device"?  Are you trying to
revert back to the pre-copy file?  Libvirt is supposed to rewrite the
domain XML to reflect the end result of breaking the mirroring (whether
you pivot or abort back to the original), and further starts of the
domain should use the correct current file (which might not be the file
that the earlier domain start used).  If you abort a blockcopy before it
is complete, the destination is useless (incomplete).  If you end a
blockcopy after it reached mirroring phase, the the file that you
abandon (whether the original if you pivoted, or the destination if you
aborted) is a point-in-time snapshot of the disk at the point you quit
the mirroring; this disk snapshot is liable to need fsck and otherwise
have inconsistencies unless you also ensured that guest I/O was stable
before the point of breaking the mirroring (basically, using guest-agent
freezing and thawing around the operation).