[libvirt-users] domain has active block job

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 09:51:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:10:53AM +0100, Fiorenza Meini wrote:
> Hi there,
> I receive this error when I run nova image-create <VM name> <Vm Sanpshot
> name>:

Okay, you're talking in the context of OpenStack.

You can also check the Nova compute.log for more contextual details of
why the operation failed.

> Exception during message handling: block copy still active: domain has
> active block job
>
> In libvirt log file I can see:
> error : qemuDomainDefineXML:6312 : block copy still active: domain has
> active block job
>
> Libvirt is 1.2.7 version, linux system is Debian Wheezy
>
> Please, what does it mean ?

It means, according to libvirt, there's an unfinished `blockcopy` (Copy
a disk backing image chain to destination ) operation.

If you can find the associated libvirt guest name, you can try the
below maybe.

For the Nova libvirt guest that you're trying to create a snapshot of,
find the location of its current block device:

    $ virsh domblklist instance-YYYYYYYYY

Then check if there are active block operaations for that disk:

    $ virsh blockjob instance-YYYYYYYYY /path/to/libvirt/disk/ --info

If there is any operation and if it is a test environment, you can
run the below to abort the block operation in progress:

    $ virsh blockjob instance-YYYYYYYYY /path/to/libvirt/disk/ --abort.

Please the man page of `virsh` for more details.

--
/kashyap