[libvirt-users] questions around using numatune/numa/schedinfo

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 12:23:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 01:08:50PM +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 23.01.2015 19:46, Chris Friesen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running into some problems with libvirt and hoping someone can point
> > me at some instructions or maybe even help me out.
> >

> > First, are there any requirements on qemu version in order to use the
> > "numatune" and/or "cpu/numa/cell" elements?  Or do they use cgroups and
> > not the native qemu numa support?
>
> For numatune you need a qemu with 'memory-backend-{ram,file}' objects.
> Those were introduced in qemu-2.1.0. As of libvirt, you'll need
> libvirt-1.2.7 at least. Although the newer the better - there were
> couple of fixes recently.

Recently I did a test here with KVM nested virtualization (I was testing
from git, so the commits are noted too):

    https://kashyapc.fedorapeople.org/virt/openstack/nova-libvirt-numa-testing/Notes-test-libvirt-NUMA-with-DevStack.txt

The libvirt guest XML configs are in that directory too.

The above test is based on upstream notes in context of OpenStack Nova,
written by Daniel Berrangé:

    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/131818/6/doc/source/devref/testing/libvirt-numa.rst

--
/kashyap