[libvirt-users] So why does "destroy" not actually destroy?

I thought it odd that if I have a running VM and I do "virsh destroy" it results in a VM that is "shut off".  To ACTUALLY destroy a VM, you have to follow that with "undefine".  Could someone elaborate on how we ended up with these slightly confusing semantics?