[libvirt-users] So why does "destroy" not actually destroy?

Dominique Ramaekers dominique.ramaekers at cometal.be
Wed Jul 15 07:26:28 UTC 2015

To my opinion there is nothing confusing about de semantics:

virsh shutdown => try to shut down the guest gracefully (normally you want to use this)

virsh destroy => kill the guest!! The term 'destroy' implies something aggressive. Normally you don't want to use destroy unless you know what you're doing. If you don't know what you are doing, most of the times, this command is invoced on trying to undefined a guest (like in your case). Which probably results in doing nothing. I think this is a rather monkey-proof choice of semantics...

Virsh undefined => remove the guest definition from the host (storage will remain)

To be less polite: RTFM => use 'virsh help' and 'virsh help {command}' to investigate the commands...

Dominique.