[libvirt-users] Cannot migrate vm between servers

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Wed Jul 15 13:10:54 UTC 2015

On 14.07.2015 16:05, Chris Lewis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I issue the command below to migrate virtual machine "jabber" from host
> vmserver5 to vmserver3
>
> I see the machine is created at the destination, paused on both sides,
> but the process fails with the error below (and the destination VM is
> removed)
>
> root at vmserver5:~/# virsh migrate --p2p --unsafe jabber
> qemu+ssh://vmserver3/system
> error: internal error: migration was active, but no RAM info was set
>

> Relevant Software versions:
>
> vmserver5:
> ||/ Name Version                      Architecture Description
> +++-==============================================-============================-============================-=
>

> vmserver3:
> ||/ Name                               Version Architecture Description
> +++-==================================-=============================-============-============================
>
> ii  kvm                                1:1.1.2+dfsg-6+deb7u8
> amd64        dummy transitional package from kvm to qemu-kvm
> ii  libvirt-bin                        1.2.9-9~bpo70+1 amd64
> programs for the libvirt library
> ii  qemu-kvm                           1.1.2+dfsg-6+deb7u8 amd64
> Full virtualization on x86 hardware
>

> Both machines have shared storage mounted in same place. Very little
> info on web regarding this error.
>
> Can anyone suggest what is going on?

During migration libvirt asks qemu for the migration progress (although
this has been reworked a bit just recently). The way this was
implemented is by asking qemu repeatedly on the monitor. Qemu should
reply with some migration info, e.g. how much guest RAM has been
transferred to the other side. The error you are seeing means that Qemu
did not supply that information on the monitor. Therefore I suspect this
is a Qemu bug.

What may help you out here is to try to migrate with the latest git HEAD
and see if it works.

Michal