[libvirt-users] Hot Cloning - clone running Virtual Machines

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jul 20 13:02:26 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 03:58:26PM +0300, NoxDaFox wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am running a test automation service which makes use of QEMU/KVM. As the
> tests run for few minutes, the time spent booting the OS (Windows) is quite
> a waste of resources so I decided to play a bit around the idea of hot
> cloning running VMs.
>
> Following an old discussion I found, I proceeded with saving the VM state
> through virsh save, edit its XML file with virsh save-image-edit and
> restore it through virsh restore.
>
> The problem comes when I try to change some specific fields in the XML. As
> I run several instances on the same server, I need to provide different
> names and UUIDs to avoid collisions. Unfortunately, libvirt forbids this
> operation issuing the following error message:
>
> error: unsupported configuration: Target domain uuid
> 7c85e288-88fe-43d2-8b9c-89af4c83c10a does not match source
> 62f28517-8601-4d2e-942c-a20d087f9f4a
>
> Same thing applies with the name field.
>
> Is this a limitation of the API or it is a designed protection mechanism?
> Would it be possible to overcome this limit?

Cloning running VMs is explicitly not supported because there is no
practical way to safely update guest OS state that must remain unique
(eg encryption keys, unique identifiers, etc) nor update hardware that
has unique properties (eg BIOS UUID, NIC mac address, and more), nor
deal with things like established network connections

Regards,
Daniel