Re: [libvirt-users] How to run libvirtd as non root user

On 07/30/2015 11:10 AM, Anshul Arora (akarora) wrote:
> Team,
>
> I note that libvertd runs as root user that is against the least privilege security model.
>
> root     307278      1  0 Jun20 ?        04:16:46 /usr/sbin/libvirtd -listen

Sadly, that IS the least privilege required for successfully running
qemu:///system or lxc:/// guests.

> Appreciate pointers to alternate options that user could configure as a potential mitigation plan?

Use qemu:///session connections - that runs a separate libvirtd process
as the current user, just fine.  Without privileges, your guests will
have a harder time using networking, but that's what you'd expect.