[libvirt-users] Hyper-V 2008 R2 support ?

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 8 17:21:20 UTC 2015

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying libvirt to connect to Hyper-V servers. It works fine for
> Hyper-V 2012 servers, however it doesn't work for Hyper-V 2008 R2 (the
> exact error is |
> Call to virConnectOpenAuth failed: internal error: Transport error
> during enumeration: Could not connect (7) (Libvirt::ConnectionError)|.).
>
> I'm using the code provided by libvirt documentation
> (http://libvirt.org/ruby/examples/open_auth.rb) and have authorized
> basic auth plus unencrypted connection on both 2008 R2 & 2012 servers
> (http://libvirt.org/drvhyperv.html#auth).
>
> Surfing the Internet to find some solutions, I found this
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2014-April/msg00802.html)
> where a developer talks about stopping 2008 R2 support (because of some
> technical stuff), while in the documentation
> (http://libvirt.org/drvhyperv.html) it is explicitely said to be
> supporting 2008 R2.
>
> My question is : does the support has been stopped or does the code to
> connect to a 2008 R2 server is different from the 2012 server ?

Hyper-V 2008 R2 support has not been dropped and probably will not be
dropped. The error you are seen has nothing to do with the actual
supported Hyper-V version, it's a connection error. Libvirt is not
able to connect to your Hyper-V 2008 R2 server, check the connectivity
to this server.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com