[libvirt-users] machine='pc-q35-2.1' and sata controller

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Mar 12 18:56:08 UTC 2015

On 03/11/2015 08:20 PM, Nerijus Baliunas wrote:
> Laine Stump <laine at ...> writes:
>
>> And it is also true that any machine with a SATA controller can't be
>> migrated because of problems with the driver. I just talked to the
>> person responsible for fixing these bugs in qemu, and he said that the
>> patches will go upstream "soon", and that he hopes they will be in qemu
>> 2.3.
> Are these patches available yet?

Here is the info straight from the author (I've also Cc'ed him to this
mail):

===============
The AHCI migration series is here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-02/msg05200.html

The tests in that series depend upon some other upstream tests, so the
order on top of current origin/master would be something like:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-03/msg02094.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-03/msg02151.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-02/msg05200.html

There's a minor pathing issue with how a test in the first series there
locates the qemu-img binary (It uses the system's qemu-img instead of
the local build copy), but otherwise that gives you all the framework
for the ahci tests.

These are all just tests, at any rate -- the actual patch that enables
the migration is small and trivial and can be applied directly to
current upstream:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-02/msg05202.html

All of the requisites that make AHCI safe to migrate are already
upstream now.

As I understand it, all except the last patch will be in qemu 2.3. Also,
he is actively soliciting people to test it, so if you've been wanting
to learn how to build qemu from source, now is your opportunity to
figure it out!