[libvirt-users] Building libvirt 1.2.13 from source

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Mar 19 17:17:32 UTC 2015

On 03/19/2015 09:35 AM, Harish Vishwanath wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to build libvirt 1.2.13 (latest) from source on a Ubuntu 14.04
> 64 bit box. After installing all the dependencies (libyajl, libdevmapper,
> libpciaccess, libnl), I could finish the build and install. However,
> invoking libvirtd throws this:
>
> root at ubuntu:/home/hvishwanath/Downloads/libvirt-1.2.13# libvirtd
> libvirtd: /usr/lib/libvirt-qemu.so.0: version `LIBVIRT_QEMU_1.2.3' not
> found (required by libvirtd)

Usually, this is a sign of your self-built images conflicting with
distro images (that is pulling in an older distro .so instead of your
just-built .so), and often because you used different configure
arguments than your distro.  I don't build much on Ubuntu so I can't
tell you the exact recipe to use, but I can recommend two possible
solutions:

1. completely uninstall the pre-built distro version, so that you have
only your self-built version accessible

2. when self-building, make sure you use the same configure arguments as
your distro would do (on Fedora-based distros, you can do this with
./autogen.sh --system, when building from git)