[libvirt-users] getting oriented/networking

Boylan, Ross Ross.Boylan at ucsf.edu
Fri Mar 20 18:01:49 UTC 2015

Thanks very much.  Unfortunately, networking is currently so slow as to be non-functional (most operations time out).  It's also erratic: I had 2 VM that were close to identical--they were both based on the same disk image--and even when I set the networking the same one was fine and one was very slow.  Today I started up the VM that had good networking, and it now has bad networking.

Here's one of the network specifications:
    <interface type='direct'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:61:7c:dc'/>
      <source dev='eth1' mode='vepa'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
   </interface>
The one that was originally fast also had a NAT network, and the one that was originally slow was mode bridge before I changed it to vepa, which didn't help.

The drivers came from http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/virtio-win-0.1-100.iso in the 32 bit windows 7 directory of the iso (host is 64 bit, as is the emulated machine; Windows 7 is 32 bit).  I've tried shutting down, removing and reinstalling the network adaptor, and various other things.
Ross