[libvirt-users] virsh dom state

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 20:09:17 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 05:49:36PM +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 23.03.2015 16:02, Fiorenza Meini wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I'm running KVM under Openstack .
> >
> > When I give virsh list command, I see some VM in NON persistent state.
> > What does it mean? How can I move it to a persisten state ?
>
> You can do that by running:
>
> virsh dumpxml $dom > dom.xml && virsh define dom.xml
>

> > I found that I cannot make a snapshot, from Openstack , of a machine
> > which is in a NON PERSISTENT state.
>
> However, I don't think it's a good idea to go behind OpenStack's back
> and change things.

Michal is totally right, it gets really messy.

If you have a live or offline Nova instance, and you're running current
OpenStack stable release (e.g. 'Juno').

You can trivially make a snapshot:

    $ nova image-create vm snap1-of-vm --poll

And, can boot instances off based on it:

    $ nova boot --flavor 1 --key_name oskey1 --image snap1-of-vm newvm

--
/kashyap