[libvirt-users] Pivot without copy

Mathew Moon mathew.moon at vipaar.com
Tue May 19 20:41:45 UTC 2015

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info. I see the value in this, but it isn't quite what I was
looking for. Basically what I want to do is to switch between snapshots
quickly. For instance, I am currently working on designing a HA SQL
implementation with failover. So right now I have 5 VM's running postgresql
as a replication group. I am trying a lot of different things and often
have to take a snapshot of all 5 VM's, do some work, and then to revert to
the previous snapshot I have to:

1. kill the VM
2. edit the VM's config
3. start the VM

What I would like is to be able to "pivot" the "current" image to be the
previous snapshot (in most cases). I understand that if this were possible
then there would be applications crash because something on disk doesn't
jive with what is in memory, but I am ok with that, I just want to get my
databases back to "square one" quickly after something in the procedure I
am working on foo bar's my db and it is replicated to 4 other nodes.

Any insights on how this could be accomplished using libvirt without
rebooting?