[libvirt-users] Standalone KVM boot from USB ?

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon May 25 21:33:54 UTC 2015

On 05/24/2015 11:42 PM, Matt . wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm looking for a solution so I can boot a HyperVisor from USB which I
> can manage through Foreman and also Manually if needed.
>
> ESXi can do so, but I'm looking for an opensource solution.
>
> KVM would be best but I wonder if there is a way to create some sort
> of live environment where only KVM settings are written to the USB
> disk and not that much logging and so on.
>
> Has anyone an idea about some persistent USBkey setup or so ?
>
> Ideas are very welcome!

I don't think there's any out of the box solution for what you want, libvirt
logs and runtime state is scattered in various /var directories and those
paths aren't really configurable. You'd probably need to mess with bind mounts
or something that points to the USB device but it will likely get ugly fast

- Cole