[libvirt-users] virDomainCoreDumpWithFormat files created as root

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu May 28 09:04:41 UTC 2015

On 28.05.2015 09:29, NoxDaFox wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am dumping a guest VM memory for inspection using the command
> "virDomainCoreDumpWithFormat" and the created files appear to belong to
> root (both user and group).
>
> I have searched around but didn't find any answer. Is there a way to
> instruct QEMU to create those files under a different user?

The coredump should belong to the user:group that the domain in question
is running under. If (by default) your qemu processes run under
root:root so will the coredump.

Although, I'm wondering if we should not disregard this and make
coredump be always owned by root:root since a coredump may contain
sensitive info, e.g. all kinds of cipher keys. We do that with disk
images, so maybe we should reconsider our politics with coredumps.

Michal