[libvirt-users] Using Virtio drivers with kernal 2.6.18-164.el5

Jatin Davey jashokda at cisco.com
Wed May 6 05:41:10 UTC 2015

Hi All

I looked at this page for reference to using virtio drivers on KVM guests.

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Virtio

In the requirements section it is mentioned that we need a virtio
compatible guest with kernel >= 2.6.25

One of my guest has this version:

[root at localhost ~]# uname -a
Linux localhost 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 03:28:30 EDT 2009 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I was still able to use the virtio drivers by enabling the corresponding
options in the qemu xml file and also i created a new initrd image file
inside my guest using the mkinitrd command as mentioned in the link
provided above.

My question is , Is it fine to use the virtio drivers with the kernel
that i have for my guest or i definitely need to get to kernel version
 >= 2.6.25 ?

Thanks
Jatin