[libvirt-users] Hardware requirements for SPICEd desktops

Lucio Crusca lucio at sulweb.org
Tue May 19 15:13:58 UTC 2015

I've found the answer to this question: https://goo.gl/FFVYr3

> 2. What's a reasonable amount of RAM to have installed client-side,
> for 4GB-RAM guests?
> 3. Should the clients have a CPU that supports VT-x?
> 4. Is it possible to have QXL supported on the clients regardless of
> the physical video adapter installed?
> 5. And what about the soundcard support? Will any linux-supported
> soundcard do on the clients?

After having installed a test drive guest at my home network, I suspect
I have understood a few things. I think the client needs only the
minimum resources to run remote-viewer, but:

1. If the client has a linux supported video adapter, and the guest has
the spice agent installed, then the guest OS can handle hardware
accelerated video playback in remote-viewer.

2. The client RAM is never used for the guest OS processes

3. It follows that hardware 3D acceleration is meaningless in a
networked environment, because the client video adapter would need DMA
to the server RAM over the network, which would be least very slow, if
not impossible at all.

Am I correct?