[libvirt-users] Pivot without copy

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue May 19 21:36:23 UTC 2015

On 05/19/2015 03:29 PM, Mathew Moon wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     Sorry about top-posting, didn't know it was a nuisance. As for

It's okay - we were all new once.

> developing,
>     I wish I could but I have never spent any time coding in c, c++, etc. I
> am a systems guy, not a developer, so I only work with scripting languages.
> I would love to have the tech chops to contribute though. If I have a
> chance I will look through the relevant code and see if there is anything
> that I can do, but I suspect it will be a bit over my head.

That's okay. Even offering to test patches when they are eventually
written is useful.

>     I will definitely check out doing snapshot-revert with internal
> snapshots and hot plugging. With hot plugging I assume you mean to create a
> storage volume, put it in as a virtual 'cd drive' and mount it that way. Is
> that correct?

Not quite a virtual 'cd drive', but an actual IDE, SCSI, or USB drive,
at least as far as the emulation presents it from the guest's point of
view.  The commands 'virsh attach-disk' and 'virsh detach-disk' are the
hot-[un]plug wrappers, which basically behave the same as bare metal
system adding or removing a disk from the hardware bus while the guest
is running (not all hardware handles it gracefully, but there are
definitely storage arrays out there that manage just fine).