[libvirt-users] a VM does not get dhcp

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Tue Nov 10 19:58:32 UTC 2015

Okay.  I may be missing something; from what you explicitly write about
subnets, it sounds like you only have one, but if you don't have two
subnets, why do you need a DHCP relay?  SO.  Assuming you have two
subnets:

* It sounds as if your DHCP request is generating an ACK.
* I'm 99% sure your ACK has to traverse the DHCP helper and wend its way
back to the originating host.

So I'd focus on the DHCP relay, to be sure that the ACK with lease info
is both arriving at it, and then being unicast to the MAC.  tcpdump on
respective interfaces should do the trick (something like "tcpdump -i
<dhcp-server-facing interface> port 67" or somesuch to see if it
arrives, then swap it around to the other interface to see if it
leaves).

Good luck!

-Ken

P.S.  I don't claim to be an expert, but I like to think I have a decent
handle on DHCP.  If someone sees a flaw in my thinking, please do pipe
up -- I admit that this virtual stuff can be counterintuitive at times.