[libvirt-users] Libvirt management daemon issue

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Nov 5 13:15:08 UTC 2015

On 11/04/2015 10:05 PM, Bilal Arif wrote:
> robo at robo:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/libvirt-bin start
> [sudo] password for robo:
>  * Starting libvirt management daemon libvirtd/usr/sbin/libvirtd:
> /usr/local/lib/libvirt.so.0: version `LIBVIRT_PRIVATE_1.2.2' not found

Usually the symptom of the wrong configure arguments while still keeping
the distro build installed.

> (required by /usr/sbin/libvirtd)
> Giving up waiting for /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock.
>
> After installing libvirt from source a lot of  Ubuntu user face this issue,
> as i searched on internet about this, no solution works. this is mostly in
> case of ubuntu users  as mentioned in many posted threads. so please help
> us as soon as possible. (this is only in case of installation libvirt from
> source)

You haven't shown us what configure arguments you used when building
from source. And I'm not an Ubuntu packaging expert, so I can't tell you
what configure flags the distro build is using. You can try
'./autogen.sh --system' on your self-build, to see if that sets the
right configure arguments (works for Fedora, but again I don't have
experience with Ubuntu to know the preferred layout there, yet no one
seems to be bothered enough to submit a patch to autogen.sh, so it may
just work).

Or there's always the option of deleting the distro build, so that only
your self-build can be found.