[libvirt-users] libvirt prepare and start hooks not callled

Sundar Nadathur snadathu at altera.com
Fri Nov 13 20:44:15 UTC 2015

Hello,
   I am using RHEL 7.1 and libvirt 1.2.8. My intention is to intercept the prepare and start hooks of libvirt during VM placement to inject a virtio PCI device into the VM's domain xml.

I placed a python script with execute permissions in /etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu. In there, I opened a log file to record the arguments received:
log.write("avfd called with args: %s\n" % sys.argv)

But all I get in the log file is:
avfd called with args: ['/etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu', 'vm1', 'started', 'begin', '-']

There are no prepare or start calls. Can somebody explain what it takes to fix this?

Cheers,
Sundar

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.