[libvirt-users] libvirt prepare and start hooks not callled

Sundar Nadathur snadathu at altera.com
Mon Nov 16 12:43:21 UTC 2015

Hello Jirka,
   The script is not even invoked for prepare/start calls, not that it is invoking libvirt APIs or is hanging. When it is invoked for 'started', it runs to completion.

I did notice the warning about talking to libvirt from the hooks. However, if the script were to be invoked, I will only be writing the modified xml to stdout. This is based on:
   https://libvirt.org/hooks.html
For migrate and restore calls, "the script acts as a filter and is supposed to modify the domain XML and print it out on its standard output".

I am hoping the same method will work for prepare or start calls. If there is a better way to update the VM's xml before it is launched, please let me know.

Thank you for the response.

Regards,
Sundar