[libvirt-users] "Failed to start domain..."

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Fri Nov 27 11:00:06 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 04:17:47PM -0500, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
>Sadly, I'm back with another issue.  I can do a "system list --all"
>just fine; however, if I attempt to start the machines, I get back:
>
>maas at Bill-MAAS-cc:~$ strace -s 1024 -f -o /tmp/asdfasdf.log virsh -c
>vbox+ssh://gbadmin@10.20.0.1/system start PXE-client-07
>error: Failed to start domain PXE-client-07
>error: An error occurred, but the cause is unknown

This means there was an error (some function returned -1), but the
error message was not set.  Could you capture the backtrace when this
happens?  It's hard to find the exact point, but going function and
checking what returns -1 should do.

>Log files on both client and server are pretty sparse on details of
>any sort... as, again, is Google.  Any ideas?

It culd be visible from the logs as well, but not without the code
opened in another window to see where we forgot to set the error
message.