[libvirt-users] How to disable kvm_steal_time feature

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Fri Nov 27 11:06:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 04:31:56PM +0100, Piotr Rybicki wrote:
>Hi.
>
>I would like to workaround a bug, when after live-migration of KVM
>guest, there is a 100% steal time shown in guest.
>
>I've read, that disabling 'kvm_steal_time' feature should workarund
>this bug, but i can't find a way to disable it in libvirt's domain xml
>file.

There is no support for that in libvirt.  Either we must addit ad a
feature (patches welcome), but if that's there just for a workaround,
I would suggest chasing the original bug.

If you just want to check that the workaround works, you could check
how the '-cpu ' parameter looks like when the domain is running and
then use the unsupported way of adding parameters to the qemu
commandline to specify the -cpu parameter again (qemu should use the
last one, so it should work), something like this:

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='${CPU_SPEC},-kvm_steal_time'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

where ${CPU_SPEC} is the next parameter after the '-cpu' one from the
command line, so for qemu command line similar to this:

  qemu-kvm ... -cpu Nehalem,+feat,something ...

the line in XML would be:

  <qemu:arg value='Nehalem,+feat,something,-kvm_steal_time'/>

HTH,

Martin