[libvirt-users] unable to dissect libvirt rpc packets using wireshark plugin

gowrishankar gowrishankar.m at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Oct 26 10:38:50 UTC 2015

Hi,
I am trying libvirt plugin in wireshark to dissect RPC payload in TCP, but
finding dissector code not really working.

My env is Fedora core 21 (x86_64) and installed packages are as follow:

     wireshark-1.12.6-1.fc21.x86_64
     libvirt-wireshark-1.2.9.3-2.fc21.x86_64

Earlier, just after installation, I noticed libvirt.so available only in
/usr/lib64/wireshark/plugins/1.12.5/ . Wireshark could not load libvirt
plugin.
So, I copied above .so into 1.12.6/ under same plugins folder, following it
wireshark could list libvirt as supported protocol.

     tshark -G protocols | grep libvirt
     Libvirt    libvirt    libvirt

However, on checking with some pcaps which has libvirt RPC calls captured on
wire, wireshark does not list libvirt RPC packets, as I search for "libvirt"
protocol in pcap.

Have anyone experienced this before or if you have any pointer that I could
check in my env, that would be very helpful.

--
Regards,
Gowrishankar M