[libvirt-users] Error during virt-install, error is not for the guest being instantiated

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Sep 3 17:37:58 UTC 2015

On 09/02/2015 09:20 AM, DeVincentis, Joseph wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have two processes spinning up independent sets of guests, letting the
> guests run for a while, and tearing them down.
>

> The two processes are generally giving their set of guests a different
> “run-period”, so the guest spin-up/tear-down will happen during different
> cycles/phases.
>

> Call these processes A and B, each is currently managing 32 guests.
>

> I am seeing an issue, where when process A is spinning guests up, and process
> B is tearing them down, where on process A, a virt-install will fail, but the
> error identifies a recently terminated guest which is managed by process B.
> The guest being instantiated does not get instantiated.
>

> “ERROR    Error: --network default: Domain not found: no domain with matching
> uuid 'd39587cb-a2e8-4989-8dce-12a12eb2815e' (process-B-guest-name)”
>

> This message is logged by my script at 3:29:23PM.
>

> This message is in /var/log/messages;
>

> Sep  1 15:29:21 splat04 systemd-machined: Machine qemu-process-B-guest-name
> terminated.
>

> Seems to me that there is some sort of mixup going on, process-B-guest-name is
> terminated during the virt-install for process-A-guest-name.
>

> Any thoughts on this?  Like hints on what to look for?  This is on Centos7,
> the version of libvirt is 1.2.8, virt-install is 1.1.0

Could be some issue virt-install hits trying to fetch the XML of another VM
that it wants to ensure the new VM doesn't collide with (storage path, mac
address, etc). The --debug output would probably confirm... but try the latest
version of centos with virt-manager 1.2 at least before filing a bug

- Cole